Many women when pregnant attend a MummyYoga antenatal yoga class to stay physically strong, flexible, to prepare their bodies for childbirth and also to meet other mums in our area. But once the baby is born it can be easy to lose the connection with other new mums, and feel disheartened about the physical and emotional effects childbirth can have on the body.
A MummyYoga Postnatal yoga class uses movement, balance and relaxation to allow your body to recover from pregnancy and birth. It will help to heal the body and mind, and repair any damage during childbirth, specifically the pelvic floor muscles and core strength.
The class is designed to nurture new mums and provide a safe environment for them to heal and repair their bodies, to talk about their experiences of birth and as a new mum, and safely allow them to reconnect with their bodies.
The Core Benefits of Postnatal Yoga
There are many benefits to attending a postnatal yoga class, in particular this type of yoga
- restores hormonal balance
- eases pressure on the nervous system
- helps build up strength in the spine
- minimises the effects of holding and feeding a baby
- helps ease the effects of other heavy lifting (e.g. car seats)
- Provides rest and instant relaxation
- Helps reduce anxiety and depression
- Restores the body towards full core strength.
The Physical Benefits of Postnatal Yoga
- promotes general health
- Complete exercise for the whole body
- Movement that promotes stamina and strength
- Realignment of the spine
- strengthening the deep abdominal muscles to ‘close the body’ after birth
- Helps knits back together separated abdominal muscles
- Relieves stiffness in the shoulders and back
- Strengthens pelvic floor muscles
- Strengthens abdominal and back muscles for core strength
- Expands breathing
- Promotes relaxation
- Improves blood flow
- clearing and movement of metabolic debris
- Promotes hormonal balance
- Stimulate cell growth and repair
- Maintains flexibility in the spine and joints
The Emotional Benefits of Postnatal Yoga
- Continuity before and after birth
- Reclaiming your body
- Nurturing yourself
- Renewing energy
- Quietening the mind
- Relaxation and deep rest
- Relieves and avoids postnatal depression
- Connects breathing with emotions
- Aids bonding between mother and baby
- Interaction with other mums
- Confidence in handling baby
- Building trust and understanding
- Providing support
- Creating security for the baby
- Healing emotionally after a difficult pregnancy or birth
You should always check with your GP about when it is appropriate to start attending a postnatal yoga class. This may depend on your medical history, birth journey and other health factors.
Also please note this class DOES NOT include babies. This is because strong poses need your full attention and distraction with babies can lead to injuries (sometimes as little as turning your neck). This class is designed in signature MummyYoga style and philosophy of empowering you to regain and build a strong connection with your body through physical strength and emotional resilience. It also means this is your one hour of recuperation and time to “fill up” again for all your mothering needs. It is important for your well-being that you take time out from constant child care responsibilities to do empowering things for your self, a valuable skill to also pass on to your children.
In order to view schedule, availability and to book please click here