Pregnancy yoga is a wonderful gift for both mum and baby. Not only does it prepare you physically, mentally and spiritually for labour and motherhood, It deepens the bond with your little one right there in the womb.
The practice of yoga relaxes you on a regular basis, allowing you to get deeply in touch with your growing baby and your changing body, and assists with any oddities that can arise with being pregnant.
A MummyYoga class honours and celebrates pregnancy in a sacred way. It allows women often for the first time, to get in touch with their own femininity and natural selves. It creates opportunities to release emotions to clear the path for the spiritual journey of motherhood. And the little one inside is reaping all the benefits of a relaxed and calm mother-to-be, and experiences calming yoga right there in the womb.
Some women like to continue attending general yoga classes when they are pregnant because they want a strong practice and feel a prenatal class won’t do this for them. I strongly advise women to attend a pregnancy class if they have the opportunity. A MummyYoga class is designed and tailored to pregnant women’s needs. The yoga postures practiced are all about opening the body to create space for the growing baby, opening the hips in preparation for labour, stretching and releasing tight muscles without overworking the soft ligaments of the pregnant mother, and strengthening the body as well as the mind in preparation for labour and beyond. MummyYoga incorporates excellent breathing techniques to use specifically during labour and throughout pregnancy.
MummyYoga classes include wonderful, restorative relaxation positions for body and mind that allow you to connect with your growing baby on a deep level. The class will give you the chance to be nurtured and taken care of as a pregnant mother in a holistic way.
Over the course of your pregnancy MummyYoga classes will explore many issues arising as part of the pregnancy such as fear surrounding the birthing experience, feelings about weight gain, or fatigue during every stage of the pregnancy. Every woman has her own personal journey which we will seek to celebrate in the classes.
But on a whole yoga practice during pregnancy is considered one of the safest ways to keep fit both physically and mentally. Beyond the physical and mental wellbeing research has now shown many other advantages to practising yoga during pregnancy.
Benefits of pregnancy Yoga:
- Prepares you physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually for the present moment of your pregnancy and the journey ahead.
- Helps reduce stress and tension, stretches and strengthens your body, and teaches you vital yoga breathing and relaxation techniques for pregnancy, labour and beyond.
- Provides you with a community of pregnant women enjoying the benefits of yoga together.
- Helps to increase body awareness, provide bodily strength and stamina for childbirth.
- Balances your energy for you and your baby, strengthens and tones your muscles and organs, and minimises many of the discomforts of pregnancy such as nausea, varicose veins, swelling, back pain and sciatica.
- Prenatal yoga is empowering, as it balances your entire being, and connects you with your growing baby.
Each class will incorporate positive visualisation meditation, modified postures from the hatha yoga lineage that will aim to strengthen and tone your pregnant body which will be of great benefit during and after childbirth, a deep understanding and practice of relevant pranayama and ending the classes with the restorative Yoga Nidra. The classes will also allow for space to explore specific issues and concerns during pregnancy and will be complimented by a wonderful community of women on the same path as you.
There are two Antenatal yoga classes a week.
Tuesdays 6:00 till 7:00 pm
Saturdays from 8:30 till 9:30 am